I don’t remember exactly when it started, what I do remember, was that Kent and I were about to watch June Newton’s Helmut by June documentary at home and he decided to fry some Chinese dumplings with red cabbage. I thought, why don’t we invite our good friend, fashion photographer and film maker Brett Hilder to join us!
It turned out to be a joyous night of food; wine and watching more than one fashion photographer documentary, as we then watched David Bailey and Annie Leibovitz after Newton.
That led us to our second movie night gathering, this time, we were invited back to Brett’s near by apartment and we watched a 2006 Chilean film Pretendiendo (Pretending) – AKA ‘Ugly Me’ in the US – which was Brett’s selection.
By the end of our third gathering, our Movie Club was formed and from then on, we had a routine: any Sunday night that suits us all and we all bring our favourite dishes.
The happiness our Movie Club has brought me is immense. I guess that being a world movie fan is just one of the reasons. The thing is, it’s very laid back, I have never taken a single picture during our gathering or felt the need to Instagram it; nor sharing anything about it on Facebook. In other words, I’ve been completely there to indulge in every minute of it!
We have conversations without being interrupted by smart phones. We enjoy each other’s company the way it was before the social networks took over.
So, why reveal my ‘best kept secret’ on my blog after all? Well, besides wanting to share my joy around, I want to encourage everyone I know to embrace life and friendship and spend less time sitting in front of our PCs or playing with our tablets and/or phones.
Fellow Movie Club friend Ben, who is an oil painter and a violinist; who, doesn’t live a social networking life has joined our regular movie gathering. The picture above, which was taken at Brett’s Habana Story – Cuba Photo Exhibition and Book Launch back in July at Badger & Fox Gallery, captured our current Movie Club members by our friend Nyk Sykes, from left to right: Kent, myself, Brett and Ben.
There was time when we were away; busy; sick; tired or preferred to be alone. Overall, we have done our best to keep our Movie Club going.
Here I’d like to show you a list of films (in order of the date we watched) that our Movie Club has played so far. In my coming post, I’ll reveal the details of my (above) ensemble…
So, here they are:
- Pretending (2006 Chilean)
- To Rome with Love (2012 American)
- 7 Days in Havana (2012 Spain; France & Cuba co-production)
- Black Swan (2011 American)
- Death in Venice (1971 Italy & France co-production)
- The Leopard (1963 Italian)
- The Spirit of the Beehive (1973 Spanish)
- Jane Eyre (1996 America; England; France & Italy co-production)
- Black Orpheus (1959 Brazil & France co-production)
- The Conformist (1970 Italy; France & West Germany co-production)
- A Place in the World (1992 Argentine)
- The Hi-Lo Country (1998 American)
- Camarón: When Flamenco Became Legend (2005 Spanish)
- My Name Is Anna Magnani (1980 Italian documentary)
- Claudia Cardinale (Italian documentary)
- 2046 (2004 Hong Kong)
- Curse of the Golden Flower (2006 Chinese)
- Day for Night (1973 French)
- Contempt (1963 French)
- The Beauty of the Alhambra (1989 Cuban)
- The Duellists (1977 British)